News Explorer 1.8.10 for macOS contains some exciting new features plus the inevitable improvements and fixes. This version is a macOS only update. The next major release, version 1.9, will be an all-platform update.
The article list has been greatly improved with the following new features:
- The article list now supports thumbnail display! This feature requires macOS 10.13 or newer.
- The thumbnail size and alignment can be adjusted in the Viewing tab of the News Explorer Preferences.
- You can also choose not to show thumbnails, just like the previous version. More info about this can be found in the Settings section of the Help.
- To support this new feature, thumbnail retrieval of feed articles has been improved and extended. The Timeline preview also profits from this enhancement.
- The article list font size can now be changed to a slightly larger size.
- The number of preview lines can be adjusted, from zero lines to max 10 lines.
The article reader has been further improved:
- The article viewer now supports an adjustable title font weight and size, plus optional display of the separator line under the title.
- Using these new settings, the default font weight for the title has been changed to bold. If you still admire the ultra light look of the previous version, then you can easily reverse this new default.
- Furthermore, when you hover over a link in the article viewer, a status bar line is shown with the target URL.
- Support for podcast feeds has been improved, with display of audio controls for the attached audio file below the article text.
With the new Feed manager, available via menu Window > Feed Manager, you can perform the following tasks:
- Select the feeds that should be presented in Notification Center when new articles are downloaded.
- Inspect the publication date of the last downloaded article, if any, for every feed in your subscription list.
- Delete one or more feeds with one click.